Completed Missions








Facebook Page

Jeep Patrol is a Marion County Search and Rescue Team

 Marion County Sheriff's Office SAR Website


For More information about Marion County Jeep Patrol


Completed Missions

Recent Searches

Missing Marion county man found safe

July 23, 2018

SUBLIMITY, Or. -- Deputies are searching for a man who didn't return from an evening walk Sunday. Gerald Gibson, 84, was last seen near the ARCO station on Cascade Highway at 8 p.m. according to a statement by Marion County Sheriff's office.

SUBLIMITY, Ore — UPDATE: Gibson was found alive and well. He was taken to a hospital for evaluation.

David Davis, Salem Statesman Journal

Missing fishermen found safe in Marion County

June 4, 2018

Yesterday around 4:00 p.m., an Oregon Army National Guard Lakota Helicopter responded and spotted smoke coming from underneath the tree canopy and what appeared to be blue jeans while searching the area around Leone Lake.

The helicopter was able to hover over the area and lower down a member of the Corvallis Mountain Rescue Team to look for anyone on the ground. They were able to confirm both men were sitting next to a fire they made to signal search and rescue teams. The helicopter crew hoisted both men, one at a time out to a nearby forest road where search and rescue personnel were waiting.

They were escorted quickly to Lyons Ambulance personnel that evaluated their condition. Both declined medical transport and did not have any injuries despite being in the wilderness overnight. They were reunited with family members near the Command Post in the city of Detroit.

We were able to speak with Josh Cox for a moment and he said that once they got into the area they were confused on which direction to head. They started down a trail and found a small creek. They followed the creek until it started to get dark and just camped for the night. The next morning, they continued to walk until the terrain was getting steep and dangerous. Josh said that they made a small fire with the intention of creating as much smoke as possible to signal search crews in the area.

The Marion County Sheriff's Office would like to extend a sincere thank you to our partners who assisted in the search and rescue effort: Oregon Army National Guard, Polk County Sheriff's Office, Corvallis Mountain Rescue, Idanha-Detroit Fire, and Lyons Ambulance.

-Marion County Sheriff's Office

Marion county rescue crews tow stranded teens to safety

April 2, 2018

Detroit Or. Search crews rescued two teenage girls early Monday morning after their car got stuck in snow in the cascades, the Marion County Sheriff's Office said. The teenagers, who are from Washington, were on their way to go snowboarding when their car got stuck in about 8 inches of snow on a rural road near Detroit. The girls called for help and a Marion County Search and Rescue team managed to find them and tow their car out. Both teenagers were unhurt. Sheriff's deputies say it's still very snowy in parts of the Cascades, so watch where you're driving and make sure you have supplies, in the event you end up getting stuck.

Missing Salem boy was found at friend's house playing video games

November 30, 2017

A Salem boy who went missing Wednesday was finally found safe by a passerby after he had gone to a friend's house to play video games after school.
Dylan Wood, 7, was last seen about 3:30 p.m. as he left Hallman Elementary School to walk home, Salem Police Lt. Dave Okada said Thursday. Police were called two hours later after he hadn't come home. Dylan was described as a thin, 4-foot-tall blonde with blue eyes, who was last seen in a black, polo-style shirt. He had a Transformers backpack. Okada said officers rushed to the scene, scouring the school grounds, other known friends' houses and nearby parks.
Salem police also activated the A Child Is Missing Alert program — a system advertised as being able to send 1,000 alert calls in the space of a minute — to help notify nearby businesses and residents that Dylan was missing.
Law enforcement officials didn't trigger an AMBER Alert for Dylan."There are certain prerequisite requirements for an AMBER Alert," Okada said. "Among them are probable cause to believe the child was abducted, and one of the others is a solid suspect vehicle description. We had neither."

-Statesman Journal

Air search for missing man comes up empty

August 11, 2011

Even a Blackhawk helicopter circling the brush around the Upper Calapooia couldn’t find Mark Hardin, the Sweet Home resident who has been missing since Sunday, according to Linn County Sheriff Tim Mueller.

Hardin, 49, left Friday to do some hiking in the area and didn’t return. His wife told deputies he enjoyed visiting the area and taking photographs there.

Wednesday morning, an Oregon Army National Guard Blackhawk helicopter was scouting the search area, without result. Members of the Marion County Sheriff’s Office Special Vehicle Unit and ATV Search and Rescue Team also searched. Their focus is a 6-mile radius where Hardin’s car was found Sunday. His last known location was on a logging road called the 90-Line, located off Highway 228 about four miles from Holley.

Since Sunday, the Linn County Mounted Posse and searchers from Benton and Marion counties have joined the effort. No new clues have turned up since Monday, when searchers found a cigarette lighter his family said looked like Hardin’s. On Sunday, a plastic water bottle of the same brand left in Hardin’s cooler was found about 1,500 feet from his vehicle. The cooler, full of water bottles, was left behind in Hardin’s white 1997 Chevrolet Lumina. So was his cell phone.

Survival skills from TV help two lost hikers until rescue

Statesman Journal - Salem, OR

June 30, 2011

Two Silverton hikers used survival skills they learned on television to build a shelter after becoming lost Tuesday night in the woods east of Scotts Mills. Joshua Rogers, 18, and Steven Vaughn, 20, left Silverton at 5 p.m. for a hike near Camp Dakota on Crooked Finger Road.

When they failed to return, family members called the Marion County Sheriff's Office early Wednesday to report them missing, officials said.

The hikers did not have camping gear, but they did have water and their cellphones. Family members were able to send them text messages, but the two hikers couldn't provide details about their location. Deputy Dave Zahn organized a search effort but held off sending rescuers into the woods until daylight. A group of 25 members of the Marion County Search and Rescue Team 18 and Jeep Patrol responded to the area at daylight. Family members and friends assisted in the search, and the hikers' 1991 Jeep was found on Abiqua Road, west of Crooked Finger Road.

At 7:45 a.m., Vaughn's father heard his son calling for help but was unable to reach the hikers because of the dense terrain. Deputies and rescuers on foot and driving four-wheelers found the hikers at 11:45 a.m.

The two said they were hiking down to the Abiqua drainage when Rogers sprained his ankle. They were unable to climb back up the steep hill so they decided to walk downstream, hoping to find a way out or someone to help them. Around midnight, they built a shelter using skills they learned from watching survival shows on TV, officials said. Both men refused medical treatment and returned home with their families.

-- Cara Pallone

Mt. Jefferson

June 13, 2011

Jeep Patrol was dispatched on a report of a man from Seattle 24 hours overdue and that he intended to hike Mt Jefferson and possibly the glacier. A Linn County Sherriff located the man’s car at the Whitewater Creek trailhead.  Less than four hours after the first request for searchers the man was found by Jeep Patrol.  

Bottle Caps

May 15, 2011

The Marion County Sheriffs Office requested Jeep Patrol members with metal detectors and evidence discovery equipment for a homicide in Woodburn. The searching was tough due to bottle caps and other debris but in the end Woodburn Police was very pleased.

Officials combine training, search for missing woman

April 1, 2011

Search and rescue teams from five Oregon counties will head to Detroit this weekend for training.

Marion, Crook, Benton, Linn and Deschutes county teams will participate in training based at Detroit Lake State Park on Saturday and Sunday.

"We try to plan these things a couple times a year where we get together as many people as we can," Marion County sheriff's spokesman Don Thomson. The training will allow the agencies to work together as they would in large search and rescue missions.

Thomson said teams will also work with cadaver dogs and boats on the lake.

Though the training is routine, Thomson said searchers hope to find the body of a woman thought to have been murdered by her husband that might be in the area.

Bend woman Lori Blaylock disappeared Oct. 28 and some of her clothing was found along the river.

Searches at the time of her disappearance didn't yield results. Thomson said there have been no new tips, but that searchers hope they might find Blaylock's body during training.

— Stacey Barchenger

Destructive tornado tears through Aumsville

December 14, 2010

AUMSVILLE, Ore. -- Residents and volunteers assessed the damage and began to clean up the morning after an EF2 tornado tore through the small town of Aumsville. The tornado struck just before noon Tuesday, leaving a path of destruction that splintered store fronts, ripped homes off their foundations and toppled trees.

Ten familes were displaced from their homes and 50 homes and multiple other structures were damaged and about 30 large trees uprooted  but, amazingly, there were no serious injuries or deaths.

Continued here

Thank you letter from the City of Aumsville

Brother, sister missing in Cascade foothills rescued after man rides to safety on a wheelchair

October 29, 2010


A 73-year-old man who was stranded in his SUV with his sister on a remote, snowbound U.S. Forest Service road maneuvered his motorized wheelchair through the snow and ice for three miles before being rescued by deer hunters Friday morning.

Linn County Sheriff  Tim Mueller said Howard Partridge of Sweet Home and his sister, Janice Partridge, 61, of Albany, got stuck in the snow on Forest Service Road 11, 38 miles from U.S. 20 in the Quartzville area Wednesday afternoon. The two were on a drive to take in the fall foliage.

Mueller said that after spending nearly two days in the wild, Howard Partridge got in his wheelchair early Friday and rode three miles -- partly through snow -- before he ran into some deer hunters around 11 a.m. The hunters drove Partridge back to his midsize Suzuki SUV and pulled it out of the snow.

The hunters notified the Linn County Sheriff's Office, which had launched a search-and-rescue mission to find the pair Thursday in the Willamette National Forest.

Mueller said deputies searched logging roads all day Thursday and through the night. On Friday morning, 10 members of the Marion County Sheriff's Office Special Vehicles Unit and Jeep Patrol joined the search, as did a UH60 Black Hawk helicopter from the Oregon Army National Guard.

"We didn't have a lot to go on -- it was a huge area to search," Mueller said.

He said searchers could not contact the two on their cell phone but were able to use cell-phone records to assist in narrowing the search area, which still spanned 760 square miles.

In the end, a 73-year-old man with a bad back who is 6 feet 2 inches tall and weighs more than 300 pounds managed to steer himself to safety.

"At least it was all downhill," Mueller said.

The sheriff said the Partridges had snacks to eat and melted snow for water during their two-night stay in their SUV about 3,600 feet north of the Foster Reservoir.

After their vehicle was pulled from the snow, the two followed deputies to the sheriff's mobile command center; both were reported in good health.

-- Stuart Tomlinson

Men found despite snow

June 11, 2010 

Our subjects were located 1800 feet off the 544 trail down into the canyon where team 18 heard screaming and a single gun shot yesterday.
All subjects are uninjured and currently being walked out of the area by SAR teams. A huge Thank you to all SAR members for the great response
to the search, I have been in contact with the wife who originally made the call, she is very thankful for everyone's effort and currently en route to the CP to meet up with her husband.

Snow slows search for men missing on hot springs hike

June 11, 2010 

Statesman Journal

Marion and Clackamas county sheriff's deputies are looking for two men and three dogs missing in the Willamette National Forest.

The wife of one of the hikers reported them missing about 5 p.m. Wednesday after one hiker hadn't called to check in, according to Marion County sheriff's spokesman Don Thomson. The
hikers were last heard from Monday afternoon.
One man is a 33-year-old from Hillsboro, and the other is a 27-year-old from Iowa, Thomson said. They are with two black Labradors and a pit bull dog.
The duo had been camping at Breitenbush Hot Springs on Monday and decided to hike about 13 miles from Dunlap Lake to Bagby Hot Springs, about 15 miles north of Detroit.
Deputies found the hikers' car parked on a forest road near Dunlap Lake, Thomson said.
Waist-deep snow is hampering searchers, who are using ATVs, horses and snowmobiles.
Searchers were unable to make it through the entire trail because of heavy snow, Thomson said.
Thomson said the hikers were unfamiliar with the trail but had maps, compasses, sleeping bags, food, water and extra clothes.
"They've done all the things you'd expect a hiker to do to make sure they were protected," Thomson said. "We're hoping maybe they just decided to shelter down."
Bad weather Wednesday and Thursday may have forced the hikers to find shelter, the spokesman said. Searchers planned to camp overnight Thursday and expect clearer weather today may assist
in the search.
Oregon National Guard helicopters helped search but were limited because of bad weather.

—Stacey Barchenger

Search and rescue team finds missing hiker

September 19, 2009 

Statesman Journal

DETROIT — A search and rescue team found a 40-year-old Portland man Saturday afternoon after he was reported missing near Elk Lake.
     Marion County Sheriff’s Office reported that Timothy McCoy had been hiking with a friend, Desta Spence, when they became separated near the Twin Lakes Junction at about 7 p.m. Friday. Spence looked for McCoy for several hours and was unable to locate him on several trails before she returned to her vehicle and called the Sheriff’s Office.
     A volunteer search and rescue team was formed and began searching for McCoy at 11 a.m. He was found at 2 p.m. tired, but otherwise okay. He reportedly was well equipped for the hike,
though he had very little food and water.
     McCoy said he had taken the wrong trail, attempted to hike back and meet Spence, but then camped out when he realized he was lost.
—Justin Much

Lost hikers found about midnight

February 2, 2009 

Statesman Journal

SILVERTON — Four hikers from Christian Renewal Center went missing Saturday night.

They were supposed to return from a hike to the camp retreat and conference center near Silver Falls State Park by 5 p.m. but got separated from the rest of their party.

Marion County Search and Rescue officials found them about midnight, said Lt. Sheila Lorance, a Marion County Sheriff's spokeswoman. The hikers were near North Fork Road off Highway 214.

The hikers were fine and did the right thing by waiting for help once they were lost, Lorance said.

— Jillian Daley

Lost mushroom collector found in Scotts Mills

Sun Nov 23, 2008

Statesman Journal 

A man who went mushroom picking with a friend near Scotts Mills on Friday spent a cold night outdoors after he became lost but was found early Saturday, the Marion County Sheriff's Office said.

Kenneth Ray Gibson, 62, of Yamhill set out in the Camp Dakota area about 2 p.m., Lt. Sheila Lorance said. He and his friend became separated a half-hour later. When the friend returned to the car, Gibson wasn't there. The friend waited several hours before calling the sheriff's office about 9 p.m.

More than 40 members joined the search team and set out at daylight Saturday. Searchers made voice contact about 8:30 a.m. and located Gibson a short time later. He was cold, wet and thristy but otherwise in good condition, Lorance said.

Gibson told searches that he became disoriented, and when it became dark, he walked and crawled most of the night, except for about two hours when he was able to sleep.

—Justin Much